Monday, October 1, 2018

5 Thrifty Fall Decorating Ideas

Cozy fall decorating ideas that are cheap or even free using items you already have around the house or in your own backyard.

This blog is about to become a big ol’ PARTY over the next couple of months!  And really, you might have already seen this coming.

This week marks my official start of maternity leave, so while I’ll be snuggling our new little one (who I can’t wait to introduce y’all to soon), I have a few insanely talented blogger friends popping in to share all kinds of budget-friendly decorating/DIY ideas that I know y’all will love!

Don’t worry; I’ll still be popping in at least once a week to share my own projects and decorating help with y’all too. My blogging bestie Rachel from Maison de Pax is kicking off the guest blogger series today with some great thrifty ideas for fall!

hi res free fall printable: grateful and watercolor feathers wall art

While I may not be the type to wear jack-o-lantern earrings or pumpkin sweaters (heck, down here in Texas I’m lucky if I get to wear any sweaters!), fall just might be my favorite season to decorate for.

I think it’s because there’s so much more time spent indoors and seasonal feelings than spring or summer, but there’s none of the pressure of the holidays and their countless tubs of string lights and glittery ornaments. In other words, I’m kind of a lazy perfectionist. 😉

Whatever your motivation, though, I don’t see any need to spend a lot of time or money on fall decor… So here are my top five tips for easy, thrifty fall decorating.

Easy, Thrifty Fall Decor:

  1. Layer textures
  2. Change pillow covers
  3. Use accessories as decor
  4. Decorate with produce and free clippings
  5. Display free printables

1. Warmer textures

I’m a mostly neutrals girl when it comes to decorating… so I kind of always love texture. But I think fall is the perfect time to hit that hard. Baskets, knit blankets, fuzzy pillows, etc. Anything that feels warm and cozy. And it doesn’t have to be a lot or be fancy.

You could just add your favorite old blanket to a basket beside your couch and call it good. In fact, one of my all time favorite throw blankets was an $8 remnant of buffalo check fleece from the fabric store. You can see how I turned it into a cozy throw with this no-sew tutorial.

Autumn decor doesn't have to be all oranges and reds; see how to create a soft, romantic space with blue and white fall decor!

2. Cozy pillow covers

To my husband’s chagrin and my kids’ fort-building delight, I love me some throw pillows. And swapping out covers is one of the easiest seasonal changes you can make.

My favorite inserts have come from either Homegoods or IKEA, but I love to make my own pillow covers or purchase inexpensive ones to change seasonally. I shared some of my favorite affordable ones this season in my recent fall tour.

giant gray sectional with navy and gray pillows

3. Wearable accessories

If you’ve got a fun fall hat or scarf, put it to good use! You only have one head and one neck, so chances are you aren’t wearing that item every day. A well-placed hat and a repurposed scarf (like this one I got from the dollar spot a few years ago) can add instant fall feeling to your home using things you already own.

gray fall dining room with blue velvet and plaid tablescape

4. Produce and free clippings

I’m almost embarrassed to write this as a tip because it seems so obvious… but it bears mention for sure. Clippings from your yard are free, and clippings from your neighbors’ yards just cost a friendly conversation or a good, quick sprint. 😉

Even down here in Texas where we don’t get many autumn colors, I can find a fair share of pretty clippings to use. And if you shop your produce seasonally, you can enjoy acorn and spaghetti squash as decorations for a few days and then feed your family!

And while you can’t eat these later, if you want to get extra fancy, apples and pumpkins can be made into the most adorable little candles, too. You can get the full tutorial here.

outdoor fall tablescape: lanterns, string lights, apple candles, and other cozy outdoor fall decorating ideas!

5. Free printables

I’m sure you’re familiar with these since Lauren shares beautiful ones often… but I do love the freedom to change art seasonally just for the cost of printing. You can find my most recent fall printable here, or you can subscribe to my newsletter and gain access to my full library of free printables!

I hope this inspires you to spruce up your space this fall! For more fun fall ideas, visit Maison de Pax or subscribe to get posts, printables, and other fun freebies in your inbox. A special thank you to Lauren for having me!

-Rachel

The post 5 Thrifty Fall Decorating Ideas appeared first on Bless'er House.

No comments:

Post a Comment