Monday, May 29, 2017

Master Bedroom Update: Pickled Pine Furniture

We accidentally started a room makeover.  Ahem… I’ve been saying that phrase a lot lately.

This was one of those that fell right into our lap since we really hadn’t planned on starting to decorate our master bedroom until at least the end of this year, if we were lucky.

At the beginning of April, when we moved in, our master bedroom needed a little love.

Before moving a single thing into this space, Robert and I painted the ceilings and trim in Benjamin Moore Simply White, the walls in Benjamin Moore Moonshine, and the doors in Benjamin Moore Wrought Iron.  Then we dragged our king-sized mattress in here, and that was our bedroom.

We literally slept on our mattress on the floor for a little over a month.  That was totally fine with us though.  We figured we would be on a continuous search on Craigslist for the perfect bed and dressers to makeover in the meantime.  Since the buyers of our last house decided they wanted to purchase our bed and dresser that was already in our last master bedroom, we were more than happy to get out of moving those ginormous pieces of furniture.

And we figured we could “rough it” for a little while with no furniture in our bedroom since there were other rooms in the house that needed way more attention first.  (There are so many people in this world who would consider having even just a mattress on the floor a luxury, so we are fully aware just how truly great we have it with these ‘first world’ problems of ours.)

Last week though, Robert and I ducked into this cute home decor shop in our area called Shoppes at River’s Edge that we’d been meaning to check out for months now, and (in between chasing Olivia around and telling her “don’t break that” about 50 times) we found the perfect bedroom set on clearance at 60% off.

Destiny, I tell ya!

Don’t mind the orangey-ness of the floors and bed right now.  A rug will be there to break it up at some point.

The whole set cost about what it would have been to purchase Craigslist furniture, gas to go pick up the items, and supplies to give each piece a makeover.  As much as I love finding the junky pieces to give a facelift, it takes a whole lot of time, and we were pretty excited to store our clothes in actual already-pretty dressers instead of keeping them in stacks on the floor for a few more months.

With all of the work we’ve been doing in the rest of the house lately, I have to admit, it’s pretty amazing to flop onto an actual bed at the end of every day.

We still have to do a lot more in this space like get a ceiling fan, find the right sized nightstands, and get a rug underneath the bed, but I can already start to envision where this space is heading.  I mostly used bedding we already owned from our last house (like these canvas ruffle pillows from HomeGoods), and found this vintage style quilt at TJ Maxx the other day to freshen up our old stuff a little bit.

Even though I love painting furniture, I’ve been on a big keep-it-raw-wood kick lately, so the pickled pine finish is great for combining both.

Robert always likes wood headboards and I like upholstered, so this bed is a great compromise for us.  Those nailheads make all of those feminine curves have a bit of a masculine detail too. Win/win all around!

It reminds me so much of this bed that I’ve had an eye on for months but it was about 1/3 of the price.

This chest of drawers that came in the set looks like an antique piece in person.  Isn’t it amazing?!

I still have to figure out what to put on top to dress it up more, but I’ll get there.

And this dresser needs a mirror on top of it at some point, once I find the perfect one.

My camera lens is severely limited in this tight space right now, so it’s hard for me to really show you this whole room in one photo.  I’m trying to decide if we have too much furniture in here, but as for function, it’s been a huge stress relief to have everything organized in drawers and in our closets.

It will probably be a while until we really get to work in here though since we’re still focused on the spaces that the rest of the world sees when they visit.  Currently, we’re still on Operation: Laundry Room, Living Room, and Breakfast Room.  Oh, and a powder room that is suddenly on our list (more on that later).

I have so many plans for this space that I have to resist the urge to start right now before we’re really ready to take this room head-on. I have to constantly tell myself that home wasn’t built in a day.  I usually share our behind-the-scenes craziness on my Instagram Stories if you want more of a glimpse at what we’re up to with projects around here.  It’s not glamorous, but it’s always worth it.

The post Master Bedroom Update: Pickled Pine Furniture appeared first on Bless'er House.

No comments:

Post a Comment