Friday, August 12, 2016

5 Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel from Maison de Pax

Happy Friday, y’all!  Today marks the last of the Budget Designer Series, and I hope you’ve gotten tons of inspiration from some of my best blogging friends this week.  To wrap it up, Rachel from Maison de Pax is sharing a few farmhouse inspired decorating tips that I know you’ll love.  I’ll let her take over from here…

____________________________________________________________________

While I wouldn’t call my style purely “farmhouse,” I do have a love for the classic, timeless charm that the “farmhouse” style embodies. And though my house is on more than an acre in the Texas hill country, it is a 1990’s traditional home – hardly a darling farmhouse. But I think the farmhouse charm can be brought into almost any space and style with a few simple elements, and today I’m excited to share them with you.

fresh farmhouse feel sign

Tip 1: Use lots of white
It doesn’t have to be walls and furniture… In fact, when we bought our new house, I wanted to paint the whole thing white inside, but Mr. Pax was allowed a vote and felt differently. 😉 So we compromised on Agreeable Gray by SW for the main living areas (one of my all time favorite paint colors). It’s still light enough to make the space feel bright but it actually highlights my white trim and white curtains even more. And don’t be discouraged if white couches aren’t in the cards right now. Consider other textiles: pillows, throws, even rugs with whites in the pattern can brighten a space.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: white curtains and other textiles | Click through for more great tips!

And, of course, there’s always white bedding…

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: white bedding | Click through for more great tips!

And white paint.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: vintage lamps and white walls | Click through for more great tips!

Tip 2: Embrace the distressed look
Whether its authentically old and worn or a faux finish, a little age adds so much character. And there are so many ways to create that look yourself! My shoe box that I modeled after an antique firewood box and built to fit our space is one of my favorite pieces. You can get the full tutorial here for that gorgeous, layered, chippy look. Everyone who sees it in person has a hard time believing it’s not a real antique.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: embrace distressed finishes | Click through for more great tips!

But it doesn’t always take lots of layers and effort, you can see how I refinished the mirror above the mantel in just one step here.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: embrace distressed finishes | Click through for more great tips!

Tip 3: Layer high end and low end
Even in the most utilitarian farmhouses, there were usually one or two cherished heirlooms passed down over the years. Having those slightly “fancier” pieces of furniture or art work that may not read “farmhouse” initially actually creates a more authentic, layered look. This French dining set that belonged to my great grandmother is a perfect example. I refinished it to fit my taste better (full tutorial here), but I love how the curvy, elegant lines complement the straight, simple, primitive look of the shoe box I built and the old bench we use in there.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: layer refined and rustic pieces | Click through for more great tips!

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: layer refined and rustic pieces | Click through for more great tips!

Similarly, the elegant wing back chairs in my living room are made more accessible paired with simple rustic log side tables (see my summer home tour here for a funny story on those if you’re interested).

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: pair refined and rustic | Click through for more great tips!

Tip 4: Bring some green inside
Remember, farmhouses are lived in by farmers (profound, I know 😉 )… Loving earth and life is part of the job description. I love both faux plants like this DIY eucalyptus wreath I made…

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: upcycle old windows and bring in some green | Click through for more great tips!

And real plants like my fiddle leaf fig trees (which I found a few years ago on clearance at a garden store; they looked pretty sad, but for $8.95 I couldn’t pass them up! I’m so glad I didn’t.).

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: indoor plants | Click through for more great tips!

Tip 5: Add some architectural detail
We recently added a plank wall in my son’s room, and I’m smitten.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: plank walls and other architectural details | Click through for more great tips!

I also love the wainscoting in my half bath, which I highlighted by painting it gray.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: wainscoting | Click through for more great tips!

Whether it’s shiplap, board and batten, wainscoting, a planked ceiling, or other trim work, it adds so much character to a home and allows a space to have more room to breathe without looking naked.

Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel: plank ceiling and other architectural details | Click through for more great tips!

As I reread the previous sentence, I can’t help but laugh at how funny it sounds to personify a room like that, but I think it’s true: the charm of a farmhouse feel is found in the simple life in a space: the stories, the memories, and light, the freshness…

I hope these tips help you to capture that in your own home. A huge thank you to Lauren for having me here today! If you’d like to see more of my projects, my house, and my attempts at pursuing peace in our home, I’d love to have you follow along via email or keep up with the latest on Instagram.

-Rachel

The post 5 Tips for Creating a Fresh Farmhouse Feel from Maison de Pax appeared first on Bless'er House.

No comments:

Post a Comment